OT - Explaining periods of unemployment on an application

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Thu Sep 16 17:36:02 MST 2010

I've heard of (3rd hand) cases where hiring managers immediately reject
resumes of people that have been laid off on the thinking that they must
have been laid off for a reason; that is, they weren't the star
employees.  Star employees are rarely laid off, even in bad work
conditions.  And since we're in terrible work conditions, hiring
managers can afford to be very picky.

I honestly don't know how true that is since I haven't met anybody
first-hand that has experienced that.  It is, of course, very difficult
to prove such a thing.

I *have* known several people that have not gotten jobs because they
made too much money in their previous job.  The reasoning is: you are
obviously used to working at a higher pay grade than we're willing to
pay you and so you're going to leave for a better job at the drop of a
hat... better not to hire you at all.