Recommendations for SMB/CIFS file server configuration

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 14:13:39 MST 2010

I have seen Ubuntu do freakishly well in running on these on-board
raid configurations, My first experience was with an Intel matrix
storage IF on my Intel mainboard, ansd it works like a champ. I do not
know the ins and outs of it as i went back to windows (long story best
left for another thread)

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net> wrote:
> James Dugger wrote:
>>
>> I'm new to PLUG and new to LINUX but I have jumped in head first.  By
>> head first I mean I have removed XP off of 4 desktops and Vista off my
>> HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop and installed Ubuntu 10.04 i386 on each.  I
>> have built an new headless server with and AMD Athelon (tripple core)
>> 64bit chip and 2GB of DDR2 DRAM to be used as a file server, and print
>> server to 3 printers.  I have installed 3 - 1TB drives in a RAID 5
>> array (Configured as RAID on main board BIOS, no PCI controller) and
>> software controlled using the OS which is Ubuntu 10.04 Server AMD
>> 64bit.
>
> I think you want to disable RAID on the MB, and let Linux handle the raid
> processing (aka software raid). I'm not sure what happens with the
> configuration you've described.

Stephen