Server/Form/Language Exploits

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Sep 8 11:13:25 MST 2010

1) Web file integrity:

Run a job that informs you of web systems level file changes every day.

It's a simple one liner, find -R /var/www/htdocs/* -mtime 1day

Or run a diff between another backed up tree and current file system that
alerts you via email if one of the files has been changed.

With an if/then statement that matches only changed content and alerts you
when/if something changes via either a diff to a backed up tree in
/root/htdocs or /usr/local/src/htdocs

2) IDS/Snort
Run snort on your system to ensure known packet signatures are dropped.
This is generally needed for PHP/Mysql.

3) Create an initial dd iso of your build and restore it to three drives
during build.  Every six months restore original dd iso drive.  Requires 5
minutes downtime to replace the drive.  Restore the drive you removed to dd
iso of original build so you always have at least two servers ready for DR
and one spare drive to swap in.

4) Run standard layered firewall that includes bottom up network protection.

5) Expect they will get it, so run different passwords on every system, be
ready to restore databases and web content quickly.  It's easy really.

6) As soon as you see any evidence of exploit, take it offline immediately
and rebuild.

7) Take a list of every single version and platform you are using and
compare patch levels and versions against the CERT and OWASP exploit
databases.  If there are no exploits for it, you are safer, some exploits
can be mitigated, but at the very least expect to patch your server
regularly.  Don't just build it and forget it.
--
Office: (602)239-3392
AT&T: (503)754-4452

“These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the
people”  --Abraham Lincoln