Books to learn Linux/Unix

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Thu Oct 28 23:56:31 MST 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 5:27 AM, JD Austin <jd at twingeckos.com> wrote:
> Back in the 90's I was in your same position.  What I did was to
> load Linux on my main computer and use it exclusively.  Depending on what
> you want to learn will determine which distribution you would load.
> For example - if you're looking to get up to speed on what is used in
> business Load your machine with Centos (Free Redhat Enterprise Linux Clone),
> Suse, or Fedora (Fedora is close enough to Centos to be meaningful and works
> on more hardware).

Welcome -
you might want to get some experience before playing with Fedora,
bleeding edge is not the best place to learn, but then Fedora won't
put you sideways right off the line. So maybe it's ok. Slackware is a
good place to start, simple stable and safe makes for a good learning
environment (esp. for command line stuff). It has good man pages too,
which you will be working with as you learn. You should expect to play
with at least 5 different GNU/Linux distributions in the coming year -
and learn why some say GNU/Linux and others just Linux, and some say
Yum and some say Apt and some say configure/make/make install.

what is your computer background? comfortable with the command line?
remember DOS? Ever take a class in Anthropology...
drop by gnu.org and freedesktop.org
go see xkcd