using echo 'text' > file (to add to last line of several documents)

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Oct 27 14:28:11 MST 2010

Am 27. Oct, 2010 schwätzte Eric Shubert so:

> Thanks for clearing that up for me hans (and Dale).
> I'll still steer clear of aliases though. When I find myself doing something
> repetitively, I'll write a script. ;)

I also prefer scripts, but I don't have any good reasons to not use
aliases.

The reason you find they can introduce confusion is actually a good reason
to use them, e.g. the ls alias available on most distros at this point
that turn on colorized output.

$ type ls
ls is aliased to `ls --color=auto'

I'm still opposed to using aliases to change data retention behavior for
commands such as aliasing rm to rm -i.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
#  stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it. -- Linus Torvalds