using echo 'text' > file (to add to last line of several documents)

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Oct 27 14:04:41 MST 2010

moin moin Eric,

An alias will only get expanded in place of a command.

$ ..  # .. gets replaced by Matt's alias ( if you have it )
$ cd .. # is the string ˙..'

aliases are not expanded in every location, just the first place.

>From the bash man page: "Aliases allow a string to be substituted for a
word when it is used as the first word of a simple command."

Not sure what happens if you use sudo to run an alias.

If the alias is available ( since you're changing users that's not
absolutely certain ), I would think it gets expanded when sudo tries to
run the command.

sudo ..

I think that would switch to the root user, then try to run the ..
command. If Matt's alias is available, then it would be run ( rather
pointlessly in this case ). I believe sudo would be handed .. as the
command rather than Matt's alias expansion.

command completion functions might change that such that "sudo ..<tab>"
would auto-expand the alias to "sudo cd .." on the command line.

ciao,

der.hans

Am 27. Oct, 2010 schwätzte Eric Shubert so:

> On 10/27/2010 01:02 PM, Matt Graham wrote:
>> From: Eric Shubert<ejs at shubes.net>

>>> What happens though when you try to use the real command? Does it
>>> result in: $ cd cd ..
>>
>> "man bash" , the ALIASES section:
>>
>> The first word of the replacement text is tested for aliases, but a word
>> that
>> is identical to an alias being expanded is not expanded a second time.
>> This
>> means that one may alias ls to ls -F, for instance, and bash does not try
>> recursively expand the replacement text.
>>
>> No idea what non-bash things do.
>>

> That doesn't appear to me to say you won't get
> $ cd cd ..
> if you type
> $ cd ..
> when your alias is defined.

#  Freedom isn't everything, but without freedom you have nothing. - der.hans