Cottonwood Question?

blake gonterman gnunixguy1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 13:16:23 MST 2010

We just upgraded to cox ultimate in chandler. Speeds are consistently above
60 mbps with their 50mbps service.

On Oct 27, 2010 9:00 AM, "Lisa Kachold" <lisakachold at obnosis.com> wrote:

You need to check with your cable company.

They send DOCSIS standard updates that do fun things like throttle down the
bandwidth and tag your packets.

http://stopthecap.com/2010/07/27/next-time-you-think-americans-dont-want-faster-better-broadband-read-this/

But I think a provider there has taken the revolutionary step toward DOCSIS
3.0!

See DEFCON 18 materials on custom firmware for modems with 3.0, that you can
use to TEST connections, etc.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.defcon.org%2Fimages%2Fdefcon-18%2Fdc-18-presentations%2FBlake-bitemytaco%2FDEFCON-18-Blake-bitemytaco-Hacking-DOCSIS.pdf&rct=j&q=docsis%203.0%20defcon%2018&ei=YEzITNW-EYa0lQe37IDoAQ&usg=AFQjCNHolfXvWbj5V58smjh96JF1HOsuiQ&cad=rja

DISCLAIMER this is no way a suggestion that you steal any services or
otherwise misuse the acceptable use agreement,

Linux is fun to configure on everything and this is yet another example that
will allow you to learn.  We don't learn to hack, we hack to learn.

You can update back to the original firmware.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:49 PM, mike havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> that was probably a stupid quesxtion; is a cable modem a cable modem...
> meaning any of them will work on any system?
>

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:34 PM, mike havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> what is the brand of cable modem they use in the area?
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM, mike havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> that would probably be me... is cox in that area or else who is the cable
>>> company up there?

>>> --
>>> :-)~MIKE~(-:
>>>

>> --
>>

> --

Skype: 6022393392
ATT:     5037544452
GV:      6236883392
http://www.it-clowns.com
Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories.
-Arthur C. Clark  I am free because I know that I alone am morally
responsible for everything I do. -Heinlein