OT: WiFi hardware question

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Oct 26 02:39:38 MST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Joseph Sinclair <plug-discussion at stcaz.net
> wrote:

> Normally, an Access Point is intended as the base station part of a Wi-Fi
> network.
> It is possible, sometimes, to use one as a wireless bridge (which is what
> you're describing in connecting it to the ethernet port), but I'd be very
> leery of using such a low-cost unit in that role; it's not entirely uncommon
> to see low-end units like that function very poorly or not-at-all.
>
> As for antenna size, a 2.4GHz antenna is generally going to be most
> efficient at 1/4 it's wavelength of 12.5cm.  Most small devices have an
> antenna of about triginal signal via multipath amplification (basically
> using weaker signals from other angles to amplify the strongest core
> signal).
>
> You might be better off getting a newer Wireless N USB dongle with 2 (or
> more) internal antennae for multipath diversity (which usually provides
> better signal in home environments than dipole amplification) rather than
> tying the machine to a fixed bridge of uncertainC

quality.

Oh, Sorry!

I didn't look at those links right [too early in the AM (sleep working)]; my
BAD!  Let's clear this up:

The size of the antenna is not the only conseration for reception.  You are
going to be addressing driver protocol issues (since 802.11G/B/N are
actually implemented in non-standard varients in small ways depending on the
manufacturer) and often link up better to their own kind or AP's and cards
known to function well together.  Another consideration is going to be AP
beacon strength.  I have an older card that does not connect with anything
but a Netgear 802.11B AP.

You possibly are misunderstanding the difference between the term AP and
standalone cards?  Almost any Wifi card can become an AP depending on how it
is intialized.

This AP:
ENCORE ENRXWI-G 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Extender up to 54MbpsIs someone
off-brand and is actually an AP (access point) that can be "bridged
together" to span wide areas that cannot meet coverage themselves, so that
users can "roam" between AP's and authenticate to one source.

This Encore is probably not a very reliable unit, but I didn't do the
typical due diligence RESEARCH (Google it) to verify what people are saying,
etc.  I imagine it has protocol issues with some varieties of cards, like
the difference in DLink and Netgear in the early days (13 years ago).  Also,
it would not be a connection solution for your sisters system, since it's
not going to provide a local connection or adapter, which the system can
use.  Its strictly standalone.

The second link is:

D-Link DWA-125 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2 USB 2.0
Wireless Adapter Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data RatesThis is a USB adapter 2.0
connected device for computers that do not have a card slot either PCMCIA or
internally.  Wireless 2.0 USB devices function significantly faster than
Wireless data throughput, (firewire...?) so that is not going to be a factor
(if you don't have a slot or open bay); however if her onboard USB driver in
the OS (old XP?) (and in really ancient hardware bios firmware does) not
operate at USB 2.0 you will have connection issues.

*Be sure your current issues are not also related to a USB 2.0 driver issue,
an IRQ conflict, or a short in the cabling, before you assume new hardware
will fix it.  The first step toward verifying this link is to patch your
system to current recommended versions (if Windows, MAC or Linux) and update
both the driver and device fiirmware if a flash version is available (often
not).*

If your current AP or "router" is perhaps not 802.11g,  your card "adapter'
is not going to be able to connect via those speeds/stability.  I believe
that Dlink's DWA-125 IEEE rates 802.3/3u provides for integration with the
USB stack or driver/LAN layer, but I would have to read the fufll
specifications.

I hope that helps.

> ==Joseph++
>
> Steven wrote:
> > Okay, this one seems like a no-brainer question to me but I haven't
> > dealt with one before. A wireless access point like this one:
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180035 should
> > get better reception with that antenna than one of those little stubby
> > USB adapters like this:
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127272
> >
> > My sister's computer is hooking into our wireless using a USB wireless
> > adapter about the size of that second link (although it's too old to
> > still show up on Newegg, I'm just pointing to something similar in
> > size), and it's never had great reception, but lately it's been very
> > flaky. Looking over things I realized those access points start in the
> > same price range as the USB adapters while having those nice antennas
> > that are longer than the USB sticks are even including the USB plug.
> >
> > That said, I've never actually used an access point, it's always either
> > been a built in laptop adapter, a PCMCIA adapter (which got a lousy
> > signal going through two fewer walls than are between the wireless
> > router and my sister's computer), or one of those USB wireless adapter
> > sticks. If I'm catching how it works correctly her computer should
> > simply see it as a plain old connection over the build in Ethernet port,
> > correct?

Skype: 6022393392
ATT:     5037544452
GV:      6236883392
http://www.it-clowns.com
Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories.
-Arthur C. Clark I am free because I know that I alone am morally
responsible for everything I do. -Heinlein