performance when using a .htaccess

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Oct 25 11:30:50 MST 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:07 AM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> We have our own servers, if that is what you are referring to.  You mean
> make the changes to /etc/httpd/config/httpd.conf ?  I do seem to recall
> reading something about this.  I suspect I can create a file and just import
> it at the appropriate place.  Thanks!  I'll need to do some research on
> this.

Yes, I even had a spider process for optimization that I used to
automatically create/check rewrites against file structure (double checking
current links) developed in perl for a really complex web system with
monthly marketing releases and campaigns.

But you can  easily just use sed/awk/grep to check/change via search/replace
for you 800 line rewrite file.

I have even seen shops that have a project database (Jira Confluence) that
includes the rewrite and all current content that requires a rewrite change,
from which a new rewrite include file with one rewrite per line can be
recreated.

Coupled with Change/Management and standard project development, release
planning can really be s-hexy.

> ------------------------
> Keith Smith
>
> --- On *Fri, 10/22/10, Bryan O'Neal <Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com
> >* wrote:
>
> -l <Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com>
> Subject: Re: performance when using a .htaccess
> To: "Main PLUG discussion list" <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
> Date: Friday, October 22, 2010, 5:45 PM
>

> Just as a follow up. Do your end users control their own .htaccess
> files? If not why not use conf files and disable htaccess?
>
> On 10/22/10, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com<http://mc/compose?to=lisakachold@obnosis.com>>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com<http://mc/compose?to=klsmith2020@yahoo.com>>
> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a question about performance when using a .htaccess file.  I have
> >> read that having multiple .htaccess files can slow Apache.  Meaning a
> >> .htaccess file in each directory.
> >>
> >> We have moved a ton of content, upwards of 900 pages.  About 600 of
> those
> >> have been moved from our blog which was located in the directory /blog.
> >> It
> >> was suggested to break the .htaccess into files that reflect the content
> >> moved.  For example put a .htaccess file in the /blog directory that
> >> reflects all the content from the blog instead of one big .htaccess file
> >> in
> >> the doc root directory that would contain 900 redirects.
> >>

> > Well, that's better than FollowSymlinks?
> >
> > The reason that multiple .htaccess file management can be slow and
> difficult
> > is that Apache2 searches each TREE and .htaccess files are inherited from
> > hierarchical directories.
> >
> > A rewrite might actually be able to do exactly what you need?  have you
> > considered that?  Rewrite overhead is not huge, especially if you are
> > caching for this /blog URL?
> >

> >> Thank you for your feedback.

> > --
> > Skype: 6022393392
> > ATT:     5037544452
> > GV:      6923073392
> > Phoenix Linux Security Team <http://hackfest.obnosis.com>
> > PLUG.PHOENIX.AZ.US
> > http://www.it-clowns.com
> > *"Great things are not done by impulse but a series of small things
> brought
> > together." -Van Gogh*
> >

> --
> Sent from my mobile device

Skype: 6022393392
ATT:     5037544452
GV:      6236883392
http://www.it-clowns.com
Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories.
-Arthur C. Clark I am free because I know that I alone am morally
responsible for everything I do. -Heinlein