OT - Having a problem displaying image thumbnails

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Oct 23 11:44:17 MST 2010

From: Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>
> When I upload images from a friend's digital camera, a Java web app
> is not able to create thumbnails.  When I upload images from a
> different camera, the same app generates the thumbnail. Is there a
> special setting that cameras have to have set to allow thumbnails
> to be created?

Cameras can do all kinds of things with image data, but I can't think of any
software that'd honor a "do not resize this image" setting even if it were
set.

> the Python app (obviously) does not use the same image rendering
> code to generate the thumbnails, so this leads me to believe the
> problem is with the image itself

Find out what the problem is by doing "identify -verbose NON_THUMB.jpg >
nonthumb.txt ; identify -verbose THUMB.jpg > thumb.txt" and then looking at
the first hundred lines of output in both files.  Then play "one of these
things is not like the other".  The problem should become obvious.

A while back, someone sent us a JPEG at work.  This image would render just
fine in Safari and Firefox, but wouldn't display anything in IE.  The problem?
 Its color profile was CMYK, not RGB.  *sigh*.  Your problem may be similar.
HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows