I want to edit $PATH directly - how?

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Fri Oct 22 05:21:22 MST 2010

> Is there a way to edit $PATH ?
I believe you are asking the wrong question, because you also state (one of)
the right answer(s).

You "edit $PATH" (as you say) by:
PATH=$PATH:/something/else
That only "edits PATH" on your current shell.
($PATH is just a shell variable private to a shell)

There is is not a "global" $PATH...

You "make the change stick", by editing .bashrc, which gets sourced every
time you start a login shell.

So far so good, you answered your own question, now:
> and I'll wait till a reboot
There are many "creative" ways to accomplish this, all of them more
complicated than just editing your .bashrc, opening up a new login shell
that will "see" the change (your current shell is unchanged), test the
change, and possible reverse the changes.
A "reboot" is totally unnecessary, once .bashrc is changed, any subsequent
launched process will "see" the change, and conversely, those already
running will be oblivious to it.

You could possibly create a script in .bash_logout that detects a file,
automagically edits .bashrc, bla, bla, bla, sounds to me like one of those
machines like:
http://www.urlesque.com/2010/08/19/useless-machines/

Get the drift?   :)
ET