using echo 'text' > file (to add to last line of several documents)

Hunter Kreie hunter at brownies.com
Thu Oct 21 10:27:55 MST 2010

Although the for loop will probably work for your PHP files, I generally prefer using a different method for processing lists of files.

/bin/ls *.php | while read i ; do echo "text" >> $i ; done

This will handle files with spaces in them and gives you more flexibility with the input list. For instance, if you have a bunch of subdirectories, you could use find instead.

/bin/find ./ -name "*.php" | while read i ; do echo "processing $i" ; echo "text" >> $i ; done

When piping the command to a while loop like this, I use the full path to the command (/bin/ls instead of ls) in order to prevent shell aliases from having any effect.

Hunter