Asterisk PBX support / vendor

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Oct 20 19:30:47 MST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:01 PM, JD Austin <jd at twingeckos.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 18:26, JD Austin <jd at twingeckos.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 17:46, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:
>>
>>> ...<snip>
>>>
>>> I don't see any benefit using Cisco phones over Polycom?  It's nice to
>>> have a well supported firmware also.
>>>

>> I agree!  I've had a clients demand Cisco phones because it was 'what they
>> knew they liked'.  It was a trial by fire the first time to figure out how
>> to make them work (registration and other issues at first) and I had to roll
>> my own directory code but that wasn't that hard.
>>
>> Polycom makes great phones and so does Aastra.  The main reason I like
>> Aastra over Polycom isn't that their phones are better (they're on par with
>> Polycom phones) but that they're much more asterisk savvy and way more
>> approachable (I'm nobody and I have the direct line to the Western Regional
>> sales manager).  Aastra phones even have a default mode where the phone asks
>> you for it's extension number and password and it seeks out the PBX server
>> (pretty neat) and a nice XML interface to make them do neat tricks.
>>  Polycoms have an XML interface that you can drive from the server also.
>>  NetXUSA does a pretty good job of supporting Polycom on Asterisk here
>> though.
>>

> One other big plus for Aastra phones is that they have no proprietary POE
> issues to worry about (no special cable or power injector needed; even
> cheapo dlink POE switches work).  I wish more IP phone manufacturers
> supported the IAX protocol (Asterisk's open source native protocol has less
> overhead than SIP) but I guess they're hedging their bets and supporting the
> protocol that everything uses (even though standards vary).  The ones I did
> find that did IAX were complete junk.
>
> JD

Yes and it's really not saying much to any old PBX people or switch people
or even Cisco router jockeys that it's "asterisk saavy" but once you play
around in a soft switch there is really just nothing comparable than
asterisk.  (Unless maybe a nice SER </joke>?
--
Skype: 6022393392
ATT:     5037544452