Asterisk PBX support / vendor

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Oct 20 17:46:49 MST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM, JD Austin <jd at twingeckos.com> wrote:

> Rhino does make good hardware.
> Another local vendor is Xorcom; while their parent company is based in
> Israel XorcomUSA is based in Phoenix.
> The only thing I like about Xorcom hardware over Rhino is that it scales a
> little easier.  It is USB2 based so you don't have to worry about whether
> the motherboard is compatible with PCI cards (3v/5v), you can fit a lot of
> telephony hardware in a small amount of space (for example this install:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/twingeckos/FortPolkJointReadinessTrainingCenter#),
> and it generally comes out at a slightly lower price for the customer
> (sometimes significantly less).
> That said... I don't care for the XR1000 server that Xorcom sells as it is
> too underpowered to expand (ok for demos) but the XR2000 and XR3000 servers
> are fine; they will be coming out with a more powerful XR1000 soon
> thankfully.

Yes, I agree!

voip-info.org is a one stop reference for all things Asterisk, BTW.

> Sangoma also makes fine Asterisk telephony hardware.  I haven't tried any
> of the Chinese Digium knockoffs and probably never will.  I don't
> recommend mixing different vendor's Asterisk telephony hardware as it is
> very un-likely that the combination has been tested by either vendor.
> For 'roll your own' servers I recommend Server Micro hardware.

I agree, provided the cards are installed right (PCI conflicts); if you are
using Digium or Rhino cards.  I have not used the Xorcom USB2 stuff.

> Since the phones are what users actually touch get good phones :)  For
> phones I generally prefer Polycom or Aastra phones.  You can use Cisco
> phones if you flash them with the SIP firmware (there is chan_skinny for
> Asterisk but why complicate matters); you may have to set qualify=no to
> avoid registration issues.

I don't see any benefit using Cisco phones over Polycom?  It's nice to have
a well supported firmware also.