Local mail exchange and remote website?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Oct 18 07:55:36 MST 2010

HI Tom;

These guys are correct, your mail server is not exchanging any
authentication but expecting it.

WHM and Cpanel use different mail tools depending in what exactly is
available and embraced/installed by your hoster.

http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpanelwhm/features.html

If you have it, use the WHM mail troubleshooter:

http://www.webhostingresourcekit.com/flash/whm/whm10_x_mail.html

Most web hosters use the WHM mail tool because of the many issues with
insecure mail scripts cgi hacked.  This simply means that your server is
sending mail FROM ITSELF (not necessarily for/to the domain) using WHM.

1) MX for your domain (so that your new server will be used for MAIL XFER
[if you are already using another mail service and have a 0 or 1 priority MX
record, just add a second MX for your offsite mailer IP machinename (which
MUST match the reverse in-addr-arpa IP address and name the server presents
itself as PER the RFC)]

http://www.gregrobert.com/mxsetup.php

2) Mailer to allow specific IP addresses to access and relay without
authentication.

If you find you are not using WHM, but have another mail server, it's going
to be configurable within Cpanel or WHM also.

This is generally in /etc/mail or /etc/postfix and is usually called *relay*
something.  But refer to specific documentation for your mail transport
tool.

I.E. google "How do I configure relay hosts in postfix"  for instance.
GoDaddy does have ssh or ftp.  You can change configuration files with ftp,
where you generally would be vim editing the file and restarting the mail
daemon.  Generally CPanel and WHM have tools to manage everything available
on the server.

I am familiar with setting up Cpanel and WHM on servers as well as working
within them for various shops through the years.  If you have questions you
can email or call me off list.

So much of the specifics of your hoster are guessed by us, wouldn't this
question best be crafted and packaged for their support email or process?

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net> wrote:

> On 10/17/2010 06:40 PM, Matt Graham wrote:
>
>> From: Tom Ostlund<tom at ostlundgroup.com>
>>
>>> I am using cpanel and whm.
>>> Does anyone know why I would be getting the following error:
>>>
>>> This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to
>>> a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings
>>>

>> Your mail client is attempting to send mail via a box that is configured
>> only relay mail that's been authenticated via user/password or whatever.
>>  Make
>> sure your mail client is using the appropriate SMTP server.  Also try
>> setting
>> "this mail server requires authentication" to true, and make sure that the
>> user/password you enter in that part of the mail client are correct for
>> the
>> SMTP server.
>>
>> It's hard to be more specific since I don't know what client you're using.
>> This doesn't have much of anything to do with websites, either.
>>
>>  Is there something that I need to add to the dns zone to make this
>>> work?
>>>

>> I'd say this is barking up the wrong tree, unless you're trying to send
>> mail
>> to a domain that doesn't have an MX record.  That should give you a
>> totally
>> different error message though.
>>

> That sounds good to me (the mail server is requiring authentication). The
> best solution is to configure the client (a web app I presume?) to
> authenticate (provide a user/pw). If the web app (client) can't handle that,
> it is sometimes possible to configure the MTA to allow submissions from a
> specific IP address (127.0.0.1 for instance if the MTA is on the same host
> as the web app). I don't know if cpanel or whm lets you do that or not.
> Might need CLI.
>
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'

Skype: 6022393392
Fax:     6233211450
ATT:     5037544452
Phoenix Linux Security Team <http://plug.phoenix.az.us/gangplank>

http://www.it-clowns.com

*"Great things are not done by impulse but a series of small things brought
together." -Van Gogh*