Local mail exchange and remote website?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sun Oct 17 18:40:18 MST 2010

From: Tom Ostlund <tom at ostlundgroup.com>
> I am using cpanel and whm.
> Does anyone know why I would be getting the following error:
>
> This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to
> a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings

Your mail client is attempting to send mail via a box that is configured to
only relay mail that's been authenticated via user/password or whatever.  Make
sure your mail client is using the appropriate SMTP server.  Also try setting
"this mail server requires authentication" to true, and make sure that the
user/password you enter in that part of the mail client are correct for the
SMTP server.

It's hard to be more specific since I don't know what client you're using.
This doesn't have much of anything to do with websites, either.

> Is there something that I need to add to the dns zone to make this
> work?

I'd say this is barking up the wrong tree, unless you're trying to send mail
to a domain that doesn't have an MX record.  That should give you a totally
different error message though.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows