bash as default shell

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Oct 6 15:28:55 MST 2010

From: Mike Hoy <mhoy06 at gmail.com>
> $ .bashrc
> -bash: /home/dio/.bashrc: Permission denied
> dio at eutopia:~$ ls -l .bashrc
> -rw-r--r-- 1 dio mhoy06 30 2010-10-05 23:23 .bashrc
[snip]

.bashrc is not meant to be executed.  It's meant to be *sourced*.  You do
"source .bashrc" or ". .bashrc" to make the currently-running shell read in
environment variable settings, aliases, functions, and stuff like that.  So
when you change .bashrc, you do "source .bashrc" so that whatever you changed
will get picked up.

Dazed_75 already said this, but I'm saying it again.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows