Low power customizable NAS?

AZ RUNE arizona.rune at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 21:01:34 MST 2010

I use a modified ASUS 1201N netbook running the N330 Atom Dual Core and the
nVidia Ion graphics.

I modified it to run with 4GB RAM and a 640HDD

It has become my mobile mini-entertainment server. I have it partitioned
with dual boot Ubuntu and Mythbuntu 10.04

When I go home I plug it in to a 42" HD TV and I have it grab my TV via USB
adapter, I can play Wow at 24 fps 1080p on the big screen and while a movie
is playing I can still get stuff done using Twinview and terminal on the the
netbook (love HDMI output).

It also has VGA output and I have used it to save my boss for presentations
at work.  While doing the presentation I showed how to do a basic dualboot
installation in Virtual Box so others could follow along. My company is in
the process of migrating to Linux so everyone had to learn to dual boot.

It is 3.5 pounds and I get 3 hours battery life on gaming or HD tv watching,
streaming to my girlfriends work via https website so she can watch Gordon
Ramsey shows recorded on the Mythbuntu side of the dual boot.

I get just over 4 hours on the intel graphics if I switch it in the BIOS.  I
normally leave it on nVidia though. I also run crossover from codeweavers to
run silverlight and use IE to watch netflix in Ubuntu.

It is a trooper of a machine while I am looking at a quad core for some
specific tasks this machine has allowed me to be very versatile at work and
home in tackling technology issues in day-to-day stuff.

Hope this helps your decision,

Now the question is at what level to settle on.  There's the SheevaPlug

--
Brian Fields
arizona.rune at gmail.com