Low power customizable NAS?

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Tue Oct 5 09:55:36 MST 2010

Thanks for the pointers.  Those definitely look more "industrial" than
I'd prefer.  If I did roll my own, I'd certainly want to use commodity
boards.  "Call for pricing" translates in my mind to "if you have to
ask, you can't afford it" :-)

The more I researched this, the more I realized that there are an
embarrassment of choices!  The last I looked (5 or 6 years ago), it was
relatively difficult to construct a silent and low power system with
massive compromises.  Not so anymore.

Now the question is at what level to settle on.  There's the SheevaPlug
(and similar) that use up about 10 watts but need more storage and can't
really handle any notable processing.  Moving up a notch, you can get a
N270 Atom mini-itx system that also hovers between 10-15 watts but is a
bit faster and will typically have a much larger (up to 1 TB) hard
drive.  Then you can move up to an NVIDIA ION system with a dual-core
Atom and now we're maybe in the 30 watt range but this can handle HD
output, if necessary.

Decisions, decisions.  That's why I was kind of hoping that some local
folks would have used some of these systems and could comment on how
well they work for them.