ext drive as part of dual boot?

Nadim Hoque nadimhoque at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 13:36:24 MST 2010

Hey,

It seems like that you have two hard drives, one with ubuntu and the other
windows am i correct. Well if that is the case just put both drives in the
computer, but remember what drives is on what sata port (the motherboard
should have them labeled). When that is done go into your BIOS and choose
your ubuntu drive to boot first and you might have to configure grub to
detect the windoze boot loader on the second drive. The plus side to this is
that if anything goes wrong you can easily boot into windows.

Generally speaking in most cases of dual boot systems both os are on the
same drive. The problem with this is if you need to reinstall windoz then
you will have to reinstall/reconfigure grup so you can choose what os to
boot because when you install windows on the same drive then windows uses
its own boot loader. With this two drive scheme, when you have to reinstall
windows, windows will put the bootloader on the the same drive as windows
and not touch ubuntu's in any way.

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 12:26 PM, betty <nicepenguin at webcanine.com> wrote:

> my computer mobo died, but luckily since i have ubuntu :) i could buy
> another computer and put my nice sata drive in it and start it right up.
> the computer i bought (new) had come with windoze 7 on a 500gb drive. i
> disconnected it.
>
> - can i put the windoze 7 sata drive on an external enclosure and then,
> boot the computer in ubuntu and access the external drive and boot the
> windoze (so we can access the media center functions) ?
>
> OR
>
> -can i make a dual boot out of the windoze drive without destroying the
> media functions, so that when i boot up, i can choose which to boot into?
>
> i like the first choice because it seems easier, if less elegant. :)
>
> thank you all for any help, remember i am the technically challenged list
> member - keep it s simple as possible.
>
> --
> betty i.
> www.webcanine.com
> information for people who care for dogs.

Nadim Hoque
Computer Systems Engineering
The School of Computing, Informatics and Decision Systems Engineering
cell: 480-518-6235
nadimhoque at gmail.com