Why do my local network ip addresses keep changing?

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Fri Oct 1 21:44:00 MST 2010

Alex Dean wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Tim Bogart wrote:
>
>> This is what I call "The ABSOLUTE ZENITH of ABJECT ABSURDITY (running dhcp services for 5 people).
>
> What would you call me if I run DHCP for 2 people? :)
>
> I use static DHCP (which, yes, seems like a contradiction in terms) mainly so I can have a single place (my router) to go to administer my IP address allocations.  With a router, 2 workstations, misc servers, switch, network printer, music player, etc.  Even for a small # of people, it's easy to end up with a hodge-podge of devices & addresses to track.

I think it's better to refer to this as fixed leases, so as not to
confuse with the 'other' static method.

> No more trying to remember which machine has which address, or accidentally giving the same address to 2 machines.  This is especially handy since the local DNS server is in the same place, so getting MAC -> IP -> DNS all lined up correctly is really simple.
>
> alex

If setting up DHCP meant installing and configuring a DHCP service using
strictly CLI methods, I might go the static route as well on very small
networks. However, setting up fixed leases using a single web interface
such as the one IPCop provides is (arguably) easier and less error prone
than configuring multiple computers with static IPs. Plus the fact that
things do change (DNS servers occasionally, for example), in which case
it's definitely easier to do the maintenance all in one place (so long
as there are 2 or more computers involved). DHCP also gives one the
flexibility to (re)configure the network from any computer on the lan
(and perhaps from the WAN with an appropriate VPN). With static
configuration, each computer/device must be configured directly.

You're entitled to your opinion Tim, but I'll respectfully disagree. I
value maintainability and I'm admittedly lazy, so I'll continue to use DHCP.

--
-Eric 'shubes'