Why do my local network ip addresses keep changing?

Tim Bogart timbogart at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 18:52:13 MST 2010

The original reason for using DHCP (for the MOST part) was limited access to IP
addresses.  Most people (including network people) had never even heard of
NATting or private IP's (10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x).  Conservation of IP's was
desirable.  You could plan on a certain amount of absenteeism from your work
force, so 100 people could get away with using 90 or 95 IP addresses.  Now we
don't need to do that, especially with IPv6 (two additional octets to the right
of the ip).  Now folks don't have to even deal with DHCP in most circumstances,
but do so out of habit.  Save yourself the headache of administering DHCP and
just go static.  I've seen offices of 5 people set up for DHCP by some MCSE (you
know what that stands for don't you?  Must Consult Someone Experienced!)  This
is what I call "The ABSOLUTE ZENITH of ABJECT ABSURDITY (running dhcp services
for 5 people).  It's just another thing to break.  So, get rid of it.  It's FUN!
 It's EASY!  And it TASTES GOOD TOO!!!  (please excuse my lame attempt at
humor.)

My $0.02

Tim