drive performance

Bryan O'Neal Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com
Fri Oct 1 08:16:58 MST 2010

Performance depends entirely on what you are doing and how you are doing it.
What is writing to the disk? DB, Files, buffer stream?
Who is doing the writing? (with as much detail as possible, down to
the application framework if you know it)
How is that data being used?
How much total data is being write in a full productivity cycle?
What does the peek and trough of that cycle look like?

Repeat the questions above for reads.

Only then can you talk about reducing I/O. Other wise I am going to
say get a few high quality Sata 6 raid card with fat cache and do raid
0 - OR switch everything over to flash drives and pay the 1990's
storage prices :)