OT: Teaching at a CC

Kevin Fries kfries6 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 06:34:10 MST 2010

As for a degree, the general rule is one degree above the one being sought.
So. A masters would be required for a BS program,  and doctorate to teach in
a MS program.  Some programs will allow industry expeience to stand for
teachers in an AS program in areas that are harder to fill such as CS,
math&  science.

When I taught, I had no degree, but was certified by the state of Colorado
with 10000 hrs of documented work in industry.  I was then required to teach
mock classes in front of real students, faculty, and administrators.

I loved my time in the classroom, interacting with the students.  Hated all
the rest.  The only way I for one would ever consider going back to it would
be as a retirement, get out of the house once or twice a week kind of
situation.  For Lisa sugar coated the nightmare of politicking at a modern
college.

I was offered by a major university (Regius University) to finish my degree
and come teach for them, and understand its not as bad at that level, but
choose the corporate world because it was so nasty at the CC.

Good Luck
Kevin