Removing a file whose name starts with '-', was Re: How to command line rotate an image?

Kevin Fries kfries6 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 13:39:41 MST 2010

Put the filename in single (not double) quotes.

Kevin Fries

On Nov 12, 2010 8:26 AM, "Mike Ballon" <mike.ballon at gmail.com> wrote:

OK, this is the last time I answer from the bar :)

I didn't mean that using inodes was the "only" way, I just knew it would
work.

I also stated that the syntax might not be correct as I didn't test it.

[name at hostd1 ~]$ ls -li
total 64
31758 -rw-rw-r-- 1 user group 4549 Oct 21 14:50 text.html
[name at hostd1 ~]$ find . -inum 31758 -exec rm -i {} \;
rm: remove regular file `./text.html'? y

You could also use find . -inum 31758 | xargs rm

I think CLI users should be aware of multiple options so thanks to those
that replied with how to escape the special characters.

-Mike