What's the easiest-to-use video editor?

Alan Dayley adayley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 15:22:53 MST 2010

I can provide some of my own experience here.

First off, some of those on the list Synaptic creates are not what I
would call video editors, though they may have excellent other uses.
Here are the ones I have used or played with:

avidemux
Great "quick and dirty" editor for simply cuts, appending videos
together, resolution transformations, format translations and audio
extraction.  Not very good at titles and the like though it has some
of that ability.  When I want to do a quick cut or translate from one
encoding to another, this is what I use.

cinelerra
Very complex, high end, high control.  If you use this make sure you
have lots of RAM, CPU and monitor space.  I've not used it much
because it's overwhelming in capability.  Probably great for
professionals or someone who likes lots of control.

kdenlive
Very promising application.  Looks and feels similar to Apple's
iMovie.  Should be a good amateur editor if it would be stable.  About
9 months ago when I tried it crashes were common.  Could have been my
video driver or something so your mileage may vary.

kino
Great for extracting raw digital video from your camera if that is
what your camera creates.  OK with basic cuts and title screens but
the interface is pretty technical instead of user friendly.  Still use
it for capturing from our old camera but then edit the video
elsewhere.  Has improved by leaps and bounds over the past couple of
years.

openshot
I've only played with this one but looks really nice.  Similar to
kdenlive and seems to target the same capability level.  Did not crash
a lot but have not used it much yet.  I think this one has a photo
slideshow maker where you just point it at a directory of photos and
it builds the video for you.

For the uses requested, kdenlive and openshot are probably what you
are looking for, assuming they work well for you.

Alan