What's the easiest-to-use video editor?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Mon Nov 8 14:25:18 MST 2010

.
What is the easiest-to-use video editor?

On my system, Synaptic lists more than a dozen different video editors
that are available, only one of which shows as being installed, called
mjpegtools ... but I can'y find it or how to start it.

Among the others that appear as available to install are these:

avidemux (plus a command line 'cli' option)
bombono-dvd
cinelerra
dvd-backup
fotowall
gjacktransport
gnonlin
jahshaka
kdenlive
kino
lives
mlt
mythtv
openmovieeditor
openshot
pitivi
wmwebcam

I've read the Synaptic short descriptions for each of these, but can't
figure out which one or two might be the best to try.

All I want to do is to be able to import mp3 videos, cut out unwanted
portions from the beginning, middle, and end to make them each one
shorter, and then combine two or more into a single video.

Also, I'd like to be able to add a title and perhaps captions to some
segments; perhaps add or replace an existing audio track; and convert to
whatever would be the most disk-space efficient format(s) for viewing
either on youtube or as an embedded video on my website.

What would y'all recommend?