OT? : Open source development tools / programming language

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Nov 8 10:38:11 MST 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:30 AM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>

>  Thank you for all the great idea. I'm building a simple CMS in PHP and
> was thinking it would be cool to have a desktop application that could do
> everything that one does in the control panel. I think the desktop app might
> contain some features not available in the browser based control panel.
> Things that are related to the site but not the content.
>

>  You guys have give a bunch of good ideas!!
>

>  1) I did not know MS now had a free version of Visual Studio. Interesting
> idea. I'd like to stay away from all things M$ though.
>

>  2) The Open office suggestion was an interesting one as well, however
> that may not be as robust as I would like it to be.
>

>  3) Use user-configurable access control lists (ACLs) for port 3306.
>

>  4) Java : "but there's definitely a learning curve if you're coming from
> a scripting language background." I'd say there is a learning curve no
> matter what your background. Java is not intuitive at all.
>

>  5) PHP+GTK - Interesting!
>

>  6) Us another port than 3306 and Using SSL for Secure Connections.
>

>  7) Eclipse and NetBeans.
>

>  8) SSH Tunnel.
>

>  9) MS Access - I've used MS Access to connect and modify MySql data. It
> is a very interesting concept. Being an old FoxPro guy, if I were to go to
> something like this I would write a full FoxPro application.
>

>  10) PHP/Ruby/JSP/Something.
>

>  Lots of interesting feedback. Thank you all!
>

> ------------------------
> Keith Smith

Matt, always gives us interesting suggestions!  Why not X11 applications?
<except X11 is scarily insecure (and php/mysql) have similar security i/o
sanitation limitations>.

There are going to be application limitations for an actual server based
Java application, say running in tomcat, but a nice little browser based
application is easy (Firefox/Chrome Plugin)?

However, I strongly suggest that any of us will make the most concrete
contribution by joining a GPL FOSS project and contributing to an already
half conceived project.  If you are dedicated, communicate well, build
community rather than a stepping stone of victims in your competition for
greatness or technical direction, you will awaken one day in the midst of a
great collaboration at the helm of a viable product.

--
Network Operations Center Engineer
Atjeu Hosting

(503) 754-4452