NonProfit 501-C Status

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Nov 5 21:33:08 MST 2010

501c is a legality that requires some skills that are somewhat outside the
penguin perspective -- administrative and corporate legal type.

501c status allows the PLUG to actually run as a non-profit, solicit
donations from corporations that can thereby get a tax write off.

Alternately, the PLUG could bid for internships, and allow people to fill
contract requirements under a work study in cooperation with the community
colleges and universities.

All of the time and donations we all put forth for the PLUG, including
shirts, disks, tools, gas, days of working with others can be written off as
a business expense.

Of course, the PLUG then gets a great deal more opportunity, people show up
with more interest than learning or getting into classes or standing around
looking like penguins and starts to cascade beyond being manageable by the
people who love linux.

So the steps to do this have been extensively posted in this archeological
dig called EMAIL a few times so I won't beleager you with it again, except
to say that a business is required first.  An ACTUAL business plan, etc.
with a financiai statement are required.

Who has these skills?

Also the costs along the way with the city and state (without legal fees
doing it ourselves) are estimated at $900.00.

Of course it's definately worth it as a one time measure.

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM, ChasM Marshall <chasm750 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Status for the PLUG -- any volunteers to do that for us?"
>
> I hereby volunteer the subject title.  :-)
>
> You [ ya'll ] discuss Pros & Cons:

Network Operations Center Engineer
Atjeu Hosting

(503) 754-4452