Building my own package

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 07:08:40 MST 2010

I think he was only asking about packaging a piece of software, not
remastering a version of the distribution.  I don't know how to do it
myself, but this was the first reference I found.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide and the links it has like
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Packaging/Training

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM, John <jharitos at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been running ubuntu for awhile and I've compiled my own programs but
>> I've never made my own package (deb file). I tried it once before on Fedora
>> (rpm) years ago and it seemed to complicated. Can someone point me in the
>> right direction on how to build my own packages?
>>

>> Freegeek rolled their own distro from Debian years ago, before Ubuntu made
> it a useless pursuit.
>
> In the old days before Backtrack, Knoppix STD was remastrered with specific
> drivers, etc (because it was distributed without network drivers as a way to
> keep script kiddie abuse down), which is similar:
>
> Here's some good references:
>
> http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-build-your-own-linux-distro
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7246  Knoppix
>

> --
> Network Operations Center Engineer
> Atjeu Hosting
>
> (503) 754-4452
> (623) 688-3392
>
> http://www.it-clowns.com | http://www.obnosis.com

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson