x86 vs. x86_64

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Mar 26 11:05:14 MST 2010

From: Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net>
> First off, I believe that the limit w/out PAE is 3G.

This depends on how you've set up the kernelspace/userspace split.  I believe
the default kernel config is 3G/1G, but there are kernel options to make that
3.5G/0.5G, and possibly 3.8G/0.2G.  Userspace stuff can't access the whole 4G
because it needs to be able to call kernel routines.  Changing the split may
require recompiling the kernel, or just poking something into a file in /proc.
 I don't know; my home orkstation only has 1G....

> Alex Dean wrote:
>> This has always confused me a bit, so it seems like a good time to ask.
> You're not alone there. ;)

Complicated stuff is confusing, and this is kind of complicated.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows