VM Utility

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 16:31:36 MST 2010

I have done this before. Get a clonezilla live cd. image off to a hard
disk someplace (or samba if you have a machine on the network) boot
the iso in your fresh VM environment, once there restore the image and
let it re-detect. make sure the ram and number of cores and HDD space
is as close as you can get. or you will get errors.

If you need to shring the drive space clear the files you don't need
then defrag then run sdelete to compress your image of extra chaff
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897443.aspx)

If you need to repartition the drive use a Linux livecd Ubuntu for
example then resize your windows partition but dont complete the
install. reboot then run check disk. go back to the beginning and
clone your now "shrunk" drives.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:09 AM, Mike Ballon <mike.ballon at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a follow up (why do I always hit send so fast :) you could also
> clone/ghost the system and restore to a VM. Also maybe look at netcat, it's
> hard to suggest too much not knowing the whole setup.
> -Mike
>
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Mike Ballon <mike.ballon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> http://conshell.net/wiki/index.php/Linux_P2V
>>

>> -Mike
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:22 AM, Richard Wilson <relw at mchsi.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have heard that there are some utilities that allow you to create a
>>> Virtual Machine image from an existing installation -- I need to do this for
>>> 2 different XP instances so that I can run them as VM's under Linux.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know of/have an experience (good or bad) using such a
>>> utility?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Richard Wilson

Stephen