RPM query results?

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Sat Mar 20 11:36:25 MST 2010

Here's an esoteric question for y'all.  What factors cause rpm to return
different values for %{name} for the same spec file?

Okay, so I have the same spec file on all systems.  I then run the
following query to get the current name:

rpm -q --queryformat "%{name}\n" --specfile project.spec

I run this on three CentOS 5 systems.  Two are x86_64 and one is i386.
I don't know for sure that all three systems are running the same point
version of CentOS5 (have almost no access to one of them).

The results I get are:

Remote x86_64 system:
project132-1.3.2-%{dist}
project132

Local i386 system:
project132
project132-debuginfo

Local x86_64 system:
project132

It's the *same* spec file on all three!  So what is causing them to give
different results?  In particular, why does one give a -debuginfo
version and the other a '-%{dist}' version?

I can provide the actual spec file in question, but not immediately.
I'm hoping, at this point, that somebody will just *know* the answer.

Kurt