Obtaining the location of an IP using PHP

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 18 22:25:54 MST 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 21:33 -0700, Daniel Stasinski wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > +1 for maxmind (the CityLite database)
> > Every time I double check against Google's GeoIP it
> > does better but admittedly, I have probably verified
> > less than 100 of them.
>
> For the free version, which is updated monthly, accuracy is over 99.5%
> on a country level and 79% on a city level for the US within a 25 mile
> radius.
----
Horseshoes and hand grenades only... But clearly it's the best we got.

I'm not going to argue the statistics but I can tell you for sure that
Qwest users in Scottsdale often report Peoria and Business Qwest users
in Scottsdale report Phoenix (though Phoenix probably falls within the
25 mile accuracy level). The 1000+ it has resolved on my website are
mostly impossible to tell the accuracy unless I know for sure which
connection is which and I rarely do.

Proxy services such as AOL completely defeat identification (I get the
country). Why anyone actually still uses AOL software I have no idea but
yes, they do identify as USA.

Mobile carriers simply don't identify well at all. They only give me
USA. Blackberry web users are few and far between though.

For example, a Sprint customer (68.28.59.112)...
{:country_code=>"US", :longitude=>-97.0, :country_code3=>"USA", :latitude=>38.0, :country_name=>"United States"}
Blackberry...68.171.233.24
{:country_code=>"US", :longitude=>-97.0, :country_code3=>"USA", :latitude=>38.0, :country_name=>"United States"}
Verizon is no better
Just saying...

Craig

believed to be clean.