Obtaining the location of an IP using PHP

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 18 20:10:05 MST 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 18:37 -0700, Daniel Stasinski wrote:
> > I need to take that IP and convert it into a location.
>
>   http://www.maxmind.com/app/php
----
+1 for maxmind (the CityLite database)

Every time I double check against Google's GeoIP it does better but
admittedly, I have probably verified less than 100 of them.

Of course Qwest is awful at reporting IP addresses in the valley and Cox
is ok but not terrific. The cell carriers... forget it.

I was very surprised at how incredibly easy it was to integrate
maxmind's stuff in RoR and for that matter, ruby's GeoKit and ym4r_gm
for finding by distance and mapping.

Craig

believed to be clean.