which t-mobile android phone?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Mar 17 14:14:08 MST 2010

Am 17. Mär, 2010 schwätzte Joseph Sinclair so:

> Not sure what something similar to a traditional Palm device is (I assume you mean the Treo phones, not an ancient Palm V or similar).

I don't know :). Actually, I think it was a Palm V she had. It wasn't
actually a phone. Well, we still have one. Battery died and she didn't
want to pay 80% of the cost of a new device to fix the battery.

> If you mean a Treo phone, then a Motorola Cliq might be better, although it's not nearly as nice hardware-wise as the Nexus One.  Blackberries are the only smartphones that really look like the Treo phones anymore.

She's seen the storm. Blackberries are now out.

After what Alan said about only running blessed programs on the Motorolas,
Motorola is out. I keep hoping Motorola will clue in rather than die off,
but, alas, it seems determined to die.

> AT&T is the only major carrier that I know for certain can do voice and data simultaneously.

Hmm, might have to consider that. I've been told the adroid will still
work on ATT, but not as well at t-mobile. I don't need blinding speeds and
am actually more concerned about latency.

I do need to be able to use my phone for an Internet connection on days
like today and yesterday when Cox is down for the count. Also for days
when I'm on the road somewhere.

I have occasional access to a MiFi from Verizon. That works well enough
for my needs. It was far more reliable in the hospital than the hospital
provided wifi. Unfortunately the device is in Atlanta this week, so I've
been stranded.

> For contact sync at close range, I think most Android phones are at least capable of this, but you might need to add an app for it from Android Marketplace.

I'm fine with apps from the marketplace.

For my wife's phone I want to do everything through official channels, so
the carrier can do tech support :).

For my phone, I will want extra features and realize I'll likely have to
go beyond stock for some of them.

> For other small transfers, I think you may have to use a web-service or email (which would work over WiFi, but not bluetooth) as an intermediary (unless you write your own application for it).

If we can ssh in via wifi, I can build whatever we need :).

> Any phone-to-phone contact would probably not work unless both phones are unlocked and have the capability (e.g. two unlocked Android phones with an app for sync via bluetooth).

OK. I'm more interested in it for me interacting with other people than
for her phone.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes        http://www.TwoGeekTechs.com/
#  Director of Engineering, FonWallet Transaction Solutions, Inc.