Linux wireless adapter?

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Tue Mar 16 17:56:30 MST 2010

mike Enriquez wrote:
> I am going to build a Linux destop computer for my wife. It has to be a
> wireless setup. Before I create a disaster, can any member of the group
> recommend  a distro and  wireless card  that will live in harmony  and
> protect my marriage.
> I am open for any distro and any card.  What have you found to work?
>
> If I build her a linux and computer and it will not connect to the
> internet she will want a windows machine. So be nice I don't want that
> to happen.
>
> Thanks for you help.
>
> Mike Enriquez

Anything should "somewhat" work if you want to go the ndiswrapper route,
although some features might not work that way. All Broadcom chipsets
fit into this category the last I knew. I have 2 Linksys WMP54G cards I
can sell which fit into this category. They're better suited to windoze
hosts.

I also have 2 Hawking HWP54G pci cards with the rt2x00 chipset that I
used five years or so ago. At that time I had to build my own driver,
but it appears that drivers for this made it into the linux kernel 2
years ago, beginning with v2.6.24 (see
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page). I'd be happy
to sell you any of these. Let me know off list if you're interested.

--
-Eric 'shubes'