which t-mobile android phone?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Tue Mar 16 14:26:15 MST 2010

I have a myTouch since November.  I like it, though it is laggy
sometimes, like a computer using the swap file too much.  If I were to
buy now, I'd get a Nexus One.

As you your requirements...

- Most of your list is not possible on any Android phone unless you
replace the software with some other build.  There are many out there
and probably can do what you want but you will then be outside the
boundaries of support from T-Mobile.  For you and many here on this
list this is not a big problem.  Just thought you should know the
limitation.

-- As far as I know, you will have to replace the OS build in order to
get the following features:
> . bluetooth tethering
> . ssh out
> . root access
> . play ogg-vorbis
> . ssh in across cell network
> . USB tethering
> . tetherable via wifi

- As far as I know you will not get any of the following features with
any of the Android phones currently available:
> . tether and call at the same time
> . on phone internet connection and call at the same time
> . phone to phone communication via bluetooth
> . phone to phone communication via wifi
> . can use external display ( monitor and/or TV )

- For the feature "contact, etc. syncing w/ GNU/Linux" I don't know
what to answer.  All Android phones sync contacts, calendar, email
with your Google account.  So if your GNU/Linux contact management can
sync with your Google accounts, it is also syncing with your phone.

- The phone comes with three email apps:
-- GMail is for your, um, GMail.
-- Mail is for some general email account somewhere so you can use
this one for your own servers.
-- Work Email will connect to a (ugh) Exchange server and get email that way.
-- I have several email accounts that feed to my GMail account so I
can do them all in the GMail app.

- The Motorola models are "TVO-ized." They check all binaries for a
specific signature.  No signature, the binary will not run.  This
means only official builds of OS can be used on those phones.  In
other words, don't get one from Motorola if you want to change the
software.  I have friends with the Motorola Cliq who love the phone
except that they can only update it via official releases, which are
slow coming.

Alan