OT: Method of packaging software for shipment

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Thu Mar 11 18:53:13 MST 2010

On Mar 11, 2010, at 4:08 PM, Craig White wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 14:47 -0700, Eric Cope wrote:
>> It needs to be deployed to Linux and Windows. I can't just tar /dir
>> because I have .svn files I don't want to include as well as test
>> directories. I planned on using a form of tar/zip.
>>
> ----
> ignoring that this really should have been on the development mail
> list...
>
> svn help export
>
> I can't imagine a single good reason for using an existing directory
> instead of exporting specific 'tags' from svn and using that for
> packaging except that there really wasn't much understanding and
> planning in svn.

Can't speak for anyone else, but at least in my case I think there was
quite a lot of understanding and planning.

If the build machine already has a recent working copy of the branch
you want to build, switching to a different branch or getting the last
bug fix with 'svn up' or 'svn switch' is a lot simpler and faster than
getting another full 'svn export'.