SSD's vs HDD Performance

gm5729 gm5729 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 20:31:14 MST 2010

I just put together a new box with a 32 GB Patriot SSD. This is the
same company that supplies Asus for the EEE's. The avg MTBF is ~2
MILLION r/w's. If they make them any better I'm going to get a ssd one
day that will outlive me. LOL

However, I would warn you. Turn OFF all power saving suspend, spin
down disc functions. My box came back up after its prolonged sleep but
all my sensor values were way out of tolerances. CPU temps were 128C,
as were mobo temps. Fan RPM's were normal strangely. Voltage sensors
from 1 - 12V were pegged. My box has a clear see through side so I
could shine a flash light inside and all 3 of my fans were spinning
normally and blowing COLD air. The flip side back of mobo panel was
cool to the touch, no smells of burning, no sparks, nothing melting or
boiling. I knew the fan for the CPU did not slip because it is clamped
to a frame that is screwed to the mobo. When I did reboot the BIOS
reported all hardware properly, all temps were normal, all voltage
levels were normal. So... enjoy your ssd's.... I do one for my OS, and
have a regular sata drive for /home.

VP

If there is a question to the validity of this email please phone for
validation. Proudly presented by Mutt, GNUPG, Vi/m and GNU/Linux via
CopyLeft. GNU/Linux is about Freedom to compute as you want and need
to, and share your work unencumbered and have others do the same with
you. Key :  0xD53A8E1