Add/Remove/Start/Stop services on CentOS

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 18:45:14 MST 2010

	More questions so I can make sure I understand what I did and why.  Thank you for your help!

All services are standalone processes,
that are started via start up code found in /etc/xinetd.d/

To add a standalone process put it's start up code in /etc/xinetd.d/

To remove a process from running at
start-up or to stop it all together remove it's start-up code from
/etc/xinetd.d/

Then restart xinetd :
/etc/init.d/xinetd restart  (if installed)

Other commands- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stop xinetd: /etc/init.d/xinetd stop
(if installed)
Start xinetd /etc/init.d/xinetd start
(if installed)
Verify that xinetd is running :
/etc/init.d/xinetd status (if installed)
See what services are running :
/sbin/service --status-all

To check Apache, which is running as a
service, issue : /sbin/service httpd status

Services are stand alone and run no
matter what run level the system is on?

What if xinetd is not installed?  Such is the case on my Fedora box.

Thanks!

Keith Smith