Determin which FTP server is running and turn off non secure FTP

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Wed Jun 23 18:42:45 MST 2010

keith smith wrote:

> I was looking around and found  SERVICEDIR="/etc/init.d"   in the
> /sbin/service file.  So I took a look in the /etc/init.d and found
> pure-ftpd.
>
> So I issued : /sbin/service pure-ftpd stop
>

> which returned :
>

> Stopping pure-config.pl: cat: /var/run/pure-ftpd.pid: No such file or
> directory
>
> kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ...
> or kill -l [sigspec]

Far from elegant, but it appears that pure-ftpd wasn't running.

# service pure-ftpd status

usually will tell you if a service is running or not.

> As a test I issued : /sbin/service vsftpd stop
>
> which returned : vsftpd: unrecognized service

Then vsftpd isn't installed.

# rpm -qf /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd
will tell you the name of the package that owns the init script.
# rpm -e <package>
or
# yum remove <package>
will remove it.
Then you might want to reboot to be sure it's not running any more. If
you have sftp working, chances are pretty good that pure-ftpd isn't
running, unless you're using non-standard ports.

--
-Eric 'shubes'