Breaking in to a Harddrive

James Finstrom jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com
Tue Jun 22 08:51:41 MST 2010

Greetings All,

So my dad bought a Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 and apparently the drive is
password locked at a hardware level and requires some sort of voodoo to
report back anything other than vendor data. Anyway I guess there is a byte
code you send to the drive and then a password then you live happily ever
after. Needless to say we don't have the password. I am sure there is data
on the drive but none that we own so don't care if all data is lost. Looking
for suggestions on breaking in or clearing the drive. Again total data loss
is ok.  Tried DD in case it was in the partition table and no dice..

--
James Finstrom