Why does my system create hundreds of .mapped files?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Sat Jun 12 16:41:12 MST 2010

Joseph Sinclair last wrote:
> It might help to examine the output of "lsof +c 0 | fgrep .mapped" which
> will show the (first 15 characters of the) command that has those files
> open.

'lsof' returns "command not found" on my system.

However, upon further investigation, I discovered that those ".mapped"
files were actually not files but apparently they were all empty folders.
I now remember that some time ago, I remember noticing files in some of
those ".mappedfiles" directories, but every one I checked today was empty.

It now seems possible that the files in those hidden ".mappedfiles"
folders or directories may have been created by a cd-burner backup program
that I had used in the past.

In any case, finding them all empty, I have now deleted them all and will
assume that this is no longer an issue.  If they show up again, I'll
resume investigating.