Thanks

ChasM Marshall chasm750 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 12 05:18:39 MST 2010

Hiya,

  Don't feel like the lone ranger.  I spent (wasted) four or five solid days
failing to get 9.10 Karmic Koala to dial out.
I even used help from the Ubuntu forums board.
I downloaded extra utilities (setserial wasn't installed) and network-manager
was not usable for modems 'cause they had another manager "modem-manager" which
happened to conflict....  blah, blah, blah.
  After I saw that Bugzilla had over 100 open bugs for the modem-manager, I quit.
After all, Lucid is already out.  I'm a lil wary even to try it...

  But lately I've fallen for Mint 7 Gloria, which is an Ubuntu 8.2 derivitive.
It's quick, simple, has a modem dialer named "Chestnut", which will also collide
with network-manager until network-manager has the modem disabled.
I've installed the nVidia drivers for Mint, and "Compiz" has become my new
window manager.  Lotsa eye candy.

  F.Y.I. the best PCI modem for Linux IMHO is the U.S. Robotics model 5610C.
On my machine it shows up as /dev/ttys2.  What modem is your Fedora accessing?

  (-:  Chas.M.  :-)