How to shrink a windows partition to make more room for Linux?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Wed Jun 9 18:58:24 MST 2010

You cannot modify a partition table if any of it's partitions are mounted.
If the system allowed that it could easily get hopelessly confused, so the partition table is locked as long as ANY partition in that table is mounted.
All of the partitions on SDA are in one partition table, of course.

Try booting from a CD (puppy or, better, system rescue CD) and don't mount anything.
You should, then, be able to modify partitions on SDA, including resizing the NTFS partition as long as the filesystem clean enough to shrink it down safely.