How to shrink a windows partition to make more room for Linux?

gk gm5729 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 15:43:16 MST 2010

Ah, now we know.

XP does NOT have its own resizer, only Vista and W7.

BE warned if you resize an XP partition it takes hours and hours and
hours. So using a 3rd party resizer is necessary. I've never had anything
but problems with GParted, YMMV. Qtparted is good and there are other 3rd
party resizers available.

Considering the time for a resize. IF you have your data backed up AND you
have the original XP discs, (we don't want ole bill to go out of business;
plus you have all your drivers. It's much easier to nuke the partition and
go from there. XP with office only needs 5-6GB disc space.

Note about primary partions and logical. You can ONLY have 4 primary
partitions at one time ever. You may have up to 256 logical.

I'm betting that since your fsck is okay on Windows if you looked at that
partition there are IMMoveable blocks towards the end of the space. This
would also prevent a resize.

gk

--
Remember, it's not that we have something to hide; it's that we have
nothing to show.

--Keep tunneling.