Replacement computer options/ideas?

Eric Cope eric.cope at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 15:53:53 MST 2010

Generally speaking thats accurate. However, most power supplies have a
nonlinear efficiency curve. using a 350W supply at 90% may be less hot than
using a 700W supply at 45%. This is very dependent on the supply.
Additionally, power supplies vent directly to the outside of a case,
introducing relatively very little heat to the internal area of the computer
case. Things like memory, hard drives, and especially the *CPU* generate 95%
of the heat within a CPU case. If heat was really any issue, perhaps
investing in a case with big (4-5 inch fans) to move plenty of cool air into
the case is a better investment than the power supply. Also, think about air
circulation around the case itself. My brother loved keeping his computers
in his closet because they were "ugly". I reminded him every time I saw it
to at least keep the doors open and use a fan to circulate air into the
closet. He never did understand why his computers kept failing.

Bottom Line: plenty of circulation inside and outside of the case is
important.

Eric