Having chroot Problems with MySQL

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Wed Jun 2 08:29:54 MST 2010

On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:
>
> On Jun 2, 2010, at 9:35 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:
>
> Starting MySQL database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> failed!
> invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> Check the mysql error log & syslog in your chroot to see if you can
> figure out why MySQL failed to start.  Could be as simple as file
> ownership/permissions.
>
> Looking in my chroot, there is nothing in /var/log/mysql.err, /var/
> log/mysql.log, or /var/log/mysql. I mean no entries. I don't have a
> syslog in the chroot /var/log area.

You mean the files exist, but are 0 length?  I wonder what created
them.  Maybe the debian post-install scripts.  Would the mysql user be
able to write to those files & directories, or are they owned by root
or some other user?

It looks like you have all binaries & libraries installed, but some
post-installation tasks have failed to complete.  You might try
starting mysql yourself, and see if that gives you any more clues
about what's wrong.

alex