Having chroot Problems with MySQL

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Jun 2 06:45:43 MST 2010

I have created a 32 bit chroot (Debian Lenny) on my 64 bit Debian Squeeze
machine. I am having a problem installing mysql into this chroot, as well as
a problem with locales.

1. I have run dpk-reconfigure locales, answered all the questions but I
still get locale warnings:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    LANGUAGE = (unset),
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"

2. MySQL fails the configuration, but there are no error messages to say
what is failing:
Starting MySQL database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . . . . failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
 mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.0; however:
  Package mysql-server-5.0 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
 mysql-server-5.0
 mysql-server

I have mounted /proc and /dev/pts to the chroot. Am I missing anything else?
I can't seem to find a good mysql chroot example on the web - many of them
work by installing mysql and then moving it to the chroot (won't for for me
as I have a 64 bit system) or compiling from source. i could do that, but I
was hoping not to have to.

Thanks!

Mark